What is Whole Body Cryotherapy?
Whole body cryotherapy is an advanced form of cold medicine. It is an extreme cold treatment prevalent since old surgical school techniques. During whole body cryotherapy, the body is exposed to extremely cold temperatures between -150 and -250 created by liquid nitrogen. The process involves exposing the entire body to extreme cold temperatures for a few minutes. Essentially, it is surface-level hypothermia. However, due to the limited exposure, the body only reaps the positive impacts of the hypothermic process, such as improved immunity.
The liquid nitrogen and subsequent cool body temperature trick the brain into producing increased quantities of nutrients like collagen, oxygen, and erythrocytes, or red blood cells. Then, even as the body warms back to a higher temperature, the nutrient boost continues to take effect. The blood will carry them throughout the body, leading to benefits like improved healing, increased blood flow, and firmer, plumper skin.
Who may use it?
Patients suffering from rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis, psoriasis, edema, sleep disorders and depression, acute post-surgical conditions, sore muscles, sports injuries, severe inflammation, and some other diseases may benefit from this therapy.
Whole Body Cryotherapy at Recover
Modes of treatment: Cryotherapy can be done in two ways.
- Localized cryotherapy: for direct cryotherapy treatment to affected areas including knees, ankles, and elbows without having to enter the whole body cryotherapy chamber
- Whole-body cryotherapy: undertaken by immersing the body in extremely cold air for 3 minutes in an enclosed chamber with temperature between negative 250–350°F.
What are the benefits of Cryotherapy?
- Pain management: we help athletes manage muscular pain, cramps, back pain, and muscle inflammation.
- Increase metabolism: WBC is said to help improve the metabolism of the body.
- Short term side-effects (if any): We strive to make the experience as smooth as it can be however, in certain persons, WBC may pose short term and impermanent side effects like, numbness, tingling, redness, and irritation of the skin.
- Rehabilitation: We provide a complete therapy to help recovery and rehabilitation.
- Such conditions may be insignificant but consultation of your doctor is a must if they do not resolve.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Cryotherapy is a form of extreme cold therapy. The patient steps in to a chamber and is exposed to extreme cold nitrogen vapors for approximately 3 mins.
- Cryotherapy is extremely cold! But it should never hurt.
- Given the intended outcome from the treatment, you should feel better within minutes of stepping out of the chamber. Benefits can last anywhere from 3-5 days.
- Cryotherapy is safe enough to use daily. We recommend visits every 5-7 days.
- We provide a robe, socks, and gloves for the treatment. You just show up!