Red light therapy works by using low-level red light to produce a biochemical effect in cells that strengthens the mitochondria. The mitochondria are the powerhouse of the cell — it’s where the cell’s energy is created. The energy-carrying molecule found in the cells of all living things is called ATP(adenosine triphosphate).
By increasing the function of the mitochondria using RLT, a cell can make more ATP. With more energy, cells can function more efficiently, rejuvenate themselves, and repair damage.
Improving ATP production, by increasing energy which speeds up the recovery process in wounds, aids in speeding up the healing process in chronic skin issues including acne and eczema, helps reduce muscle soreness and inflammation in joints.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Red light is thought to work by producing a biochemical effect in cells that strengthen the mitochondria. By increasing the function of the mitochondria, a cell can make more energy. With more energy, cells can function more efficiently, rejuvenate themselves, and repair damage.
- Depending on the patient’s age and the condition of the skin, in general, best results are achieved over an 8 – 12 week period. We recommend starting with a commitment of 25-40 minutes, which is the maximum time in our Red Light Therapy bed, at least 3-5 times per week for the first 1-4 weeks.
- No. Red light therapy does not have UV rays, the skin-damaging rays in sunlight. Therefore you will not burn from an RLT session.
- Yes, it is safe for the eyes. However, certain medications and conditions can cause the retina to be more sensitive to the light. In these cases, we recommend wearing the provided eyewear. The red light bed manufacturer, LightStem, suggests the use of goggles during sessions. Red light therapy treatments have been shown in numerous research studies to be safe for the eyes. They're also a proven way to help heal eye injuries, reduce inflammation, and protect against vision loss. If you choose to not wear the provided goggles, we are not liable for any injury that might occur to your eyes. (Recover always recommends you wear the provided eye protection.)
- Red Light Therapy is proven harmless during pregnancy. However, we recommend checking with your doctor before starting a session during pregnancy.